19 June 2006

a father's day post

You'd think that being a Dad at twenty years old would make him less of a father, not even aware of what it's like to raise children. I strongly disagree though, because in a span of twenty years I learned from him and Mommy much more than I could ever learn from anyone.

My Dad is funny in every sense of the word --- jokes, wisecracks, and all the other stuff. I think we got his sense of humour and his love for analysis of everything. He's also a disciplinarian and constantly apprehended us, but he made sure we perfectly understood what it was all about after, that it was utimately for our own good. He would also be (together with Mommy) the family shock absorber, making sure we weren't hit by the steady blows we received years back during those terrible times. He tried to make things seem quite okay even if they weren't so we would not have to worry.

I'm glad I did not went through the extreme teenage rebellion phase. Yes I did some pretty stupid things in the past, but nothing like leaving the house without their permission at midnight, or answering them back, or staying out late without calling. OMG I just realized that I was pretty boring ahaha. Seriously though I'm thankful that Daddy always finds time to talk with us. Talking with your parents help a great deal, and there are considerably less chances of you screwing up. And it makes you realize that they do understand you, and it's a wonderful feeling knowing they're always there to back you up. I mean most kids today claim that their parents DO NOT understand them, but let's think of it this way: do you even bother letting them know what's going on? If they don't know anything in the first place, surely they could never sort it out. AHAHA you can't blame me for talking like this --- after all, I'm someone who tells my Mom everything while she's cooking, and can go straight up to my Dad and loiter around his shop just to watch him work or talk to him (or sometimes be his text messenger or something cause sometimes he can't be bothered to reply to sms immediately ahaha).


Father's Day celebration in our church last Sunday


The Men's Chorale

I'm not saying we're a shiny shimmery perfect family. And my Dad is far from being perfect, but aren't we all? Lord knows we've fought (and MADE UP) far too many times, but making mistakes is definitely worth it. We learn from each other, and even he (Daddy) admits that.

Kate and I have seen him cry, and it was surreal. Children have this habit of building up the image of a superhuman being for their fathers, and we kind of view them as someone indestructible, someone who can do anything. But seeing them cry categorizes them as normal human beings too, susceptible to sadness and pain. And it makes you realize the extent of your love for them, because at that time I wanted to offer him anything, anything at all, to take the pain away. It was one of those trying times where the surface cracks a little, revealing weaknesses within the family. At the same time, it was also when you know you would do anything at all to get through it together.

My Dad is everything I hoped a father would be, and everyday I thank the Lord for giving me a wonderful Dad and a wonderful family. It makes me quite sad when I think of all the heartaches I have caused them before, but I'm a changed person now. I love them too much to even think of screwing up again.


Me Dad Kate :-)

To the one who has brought happiness and love into the family more than we could have ever imagined, to our source of strength and hope, and to the first man Kate and I ever loved (that's a promise Daddy, just go easy on the boys hahaha), Happy Father's Day!