23 August 2005

mortality

When someone close to you or someone you know dies, the realization that we are mere mortals sinks in. Not that I ever thought I was immortal, but you don't wake up everyday and think that one day you're eventually going to pass away, that one day you will head down there, six feet under, and that your body will be lifeless, not giving justice to all that you have accomplished (but then when one knows the truth, your works and accomplishments will simply be that, not a one-way ticket to eternity).

We are all foolish vulnerable in one way or another, I think. But we always refuse to let that define who we are, and we blindly believe we're invincible. We go on thinking that the idea of death is relatively obscure, that it won't ever come to get you.

Unfortunately, it is true and it will come, often sooner than we think. And I admit I am not invincible, that I'm just like everybody else, that I'm merely passing through.