16 June 2005

to each his own

Don't you just hate people who bash other genres of music just because they're not into it? I've often encountered profiles, blogs and yes, people, who gamely talk about what they listen to, and when they find out about your preferences, they lose interest or smile annoyingly or chuckle a bit. I'm not stupid, and if there's anyone who knows a lot about sarcasm that'd be me, so I know what you're doing.

I guess music has always been a big issue. And I guess some people just can't flush stereotyping out of their systems. People's reactions when you say your type of music is:
sentimental/love songs = totally mushy
novelty = promdi, downright awful
hiphop = jologs
r&b = blinged-out
reggae = smokes pot, dreadlocks
blues = for your great grandpa
jazz = bo-ho-ring
country = eewww
goth = anti-christ, weirdo
world music = indigenous, hilarious
alternative = everybody listens to it
classical = music majors, prissy
emo = rebel cool, logo/band shirts
metal = "you're such a rockstar, dude!", piercings
rock = "astig" (gawd, I so hate that word. sheesh.)


I think it's not fair, for me and for everybody else. And those aren't the only genres out there, the list goes on. What I don't understand is why some people think it's cool to like rock. Or a certain genre, just because the people they look up to like those musicians too. They don't realize that it's pathetic. And terribly dumb.

Those people, being the wuss that they are, go about claiming they listen to this and that. But when you ask them their favorite song from that band --- "Uh, my friend made me listen lang kasi to this mp3 and I liked it...but I don't know the titles eh". Or "Ah, my friend gave me a cd lang kasi, binurn lang nya, so...". Don't ever give me that answer. If you know your stuff, you do. You really do. And you won't have to give me those sorry answers.

Point is, you need to respect people and whatever they believe in. It doesn't matter what it is, you just have to. If you don't like world music, don't diss the musicians who play percussions and dance around and play their instruments with their eyes closed, feeling the music; they probably have more passion than you will ever do, with anything. If you don't like reggae, don't assume that every person who listens to it is high on crack and always wasted as hell. If you don't like mushy love songs, don't laugh at people who do, because probably, if you love someone, you just can't help it. If you don't like rock, banish all thoughts that people who do are jumping up and down and pushing each other in sweaty moshpits, giving everyone the finger (well, not all of them do hehe). If you don't like novelty songs, don't insult people who do, because probably it's the only thing they air on the radio in the provinces, or they just like the shoddy lyrics, or it just makes them want to dance. You have to give up the idea that whatever you listen to is the "it" thing, and other genres are simply senseless.

All you have to do is respect my music, because if you don't like it, I don't care anyway.
And chances are, I don't like yours either.
So bug off, sweetie.