06 July 2005

a lesson for high school kids

Now that I think about it, I realized I never really thought about college when I was in high school. No, not in a bad way, and not that I didn't care, but I had it all planned out then --- what course I would take and the kind of job I would have. And I should've known that things don't always go as planned.

I was certain that it was the course for me. I knew how to draw, and my friends told me that if you liked the abstract, go for Painting. If you were good in drawing people, then it has to be Advertising. But if you draw things (that was very general, but they told me as long as it wasn't a person) then Industrial Design was the way to go.

Four and a half semesters and a million sleepless nights and deadlines later, I knew I couldn't do it anymore. Making those orthographic projections with all the views (where you have to measure everything, even the angles) was driving me bonkers. We started designing our own products, and my best didn't seem good enough; I always ended up looking like I didn't do my research. I did, I really did, but I just can't stand looking up what kind of metal or plastic I was using for my toilet brush project. Or making up the measurements of those bristles.

My Fine Arts days in UST, however, were terribly fun. I guess when you're in the company of crazy and happy people you just overlook the flaws. And I miss them now. Tears. Hehe.

Everything just sort of came back to me because my sister is a high school senior and she's looking up universities and colleges now. I wish I could tell her how to go about things but I really can't, because somewhere along the line I messed up.

So kids, don't ever assume that your college life as well as the years after it will go smoothly as planned. Chances are it won't, and I'm not sure if it's gonna be for the better or if it'll drown you in sorrow. So when you make decisions, make sure you think long and hard. Don't envision yourself whipping out your phone down in Makati in a business suit heading off to your power lunch when you haven't even had college entrance exams yet. No no no, sweetie.

In the meantime, go home and do your homework or I shall spank you. Muahaha.