29 December 2006

words and abstract thoughts will be defined

2006 has been a wonderful year for me. Sometimes I wonder why I still keep this blog since I don't write here as much as I used to (some things you just have to keep to yourself), but whenever I'd want to remember what happened throughout the year, I go to my archives and read.

There's a certain magic in remembering things. It's like placing your heart back to who you were once, where you were that very moment, who you were with, what time of day that was, how you felt. Maybe you were happier then, maybe you were miserable, but then here we are right. Each day was a step of faith, and we've come this far.

Year-end posts have a way of releasing our sentimental side. You wonder what happened to you this year, if you've changed, if you've achieved something, if you've gained or lost. But then again, we can never claim to have gone through our lives in mediocrity. Friends made you laugh and heard you cry, helped you through some rough patches. Your family has always been by your side and never thought you a failure, even when it feels like it at times; you felt like nothing to the world, but you were the world to them. People have shown you love is real, you're just refusing to grasp its entirety; you restored your faith in love in the most unexpected places, and in the most unexpected people. There is a blessing in each year, we just have to learn how to single them out like a rose among thorns.

So I'll be writing a comprehensive post about this past year when we get back tomorrow. Persons, memories, places, experiences --- they'll simply be words until we write about them. Then they come alive and live forever.

Much like love. It will always be an abstract thought until we say it. And for me, it translates to YOU. That one exception to the rule.